Concealed Handgun License
Applications for concealed handgun licenses are accepted in the Civil Division at the Josephine County Adult Jail located at 1901 NE F St, Grants Pass, OR 97526.
Concealed Handgun Permit Application
(For New, Renewal & Transfer)
New applications and *Transfers from another county with an expired license
will be processed on Mondays ONLY
and by appointment only
. Appointments will be scheduled every 20 minutes between the hours of 8:40 - 11:40 and 1:00 - 3:40. To make an appointment, please call 541-474-5123 option #2.
Renewal applications, transfers that are not expired, as well as address changes or replacement cards will be processed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as walk-ins with no appointment needed between the hours of 9:00-11:50 and 1:00- 3:50.
*If you currently have a CHL from another county but you have new residency with us, you are considered a "Transfer". If your license has expired or is close to expiring, you will need to make an appointment for a Monday. If your license is not expired, you can come in on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. For all transfers please fill out the Concealed Handgun Application Do not fill out change of Address form.
If you currently have a CHL with us, and you relocated somewhere else within the county, please fill out the Change of Address Form
Click Here to fill out and print Change of Address Form
An extensive criminal, civil and mental health background is conducted after your application is submitted. At the time you submit your application, we will photograph and fingerprint you and collect applicable fees. All fees must be cash, money order or a cashier's check, no personal checks accepted.
- Total Cost for New Application: $65.00
- Total Cost for Transfers from another county with a license not expired: $30.00
- Total Cost for Transfers from another county with a license expired: $65.00
- Total Cost for Renewal Application: $50
- Total Cost for a replacement card (address/name change, lost etc) $15
These fees are non-refundable and cover the cost of the background investigation and processing as required by law. Please provide a self-addressed stamped envelope for notification when your permit approval process is complete.
To qualify for a concealed handgun license you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a US Citizen or have proof of application with the intent to become a citizen
- Never have been convicted of a disqualifying crime of domestic violence
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the last four years
- Not be a registered sex offender
- Not have been convicted of any drug related crime
- Pay appropriate fees
- Provide written documentation that demonstrates that you have taken a handgun safety course
- Pass a background check
The Sheriff's Office does not endorse any specific instructors, however you can contact the Josephine County Sportsman's Park at (541) 476-2040 for a list of qualified instructors that offer handgun safety classes. Instructors will provide a certificate upon successful completion of the class that will suffice for competency in handgun safety.
Until further notice, we will no longer be able to accept out-of-state applications, we will renew out-of-state applications if processed before the expiration date.
When you apply, bring:
Concealed Handgun License Forms:
- Your completed application
- Two pieces of ID (one with a photo)
- Proof of competency in handgun safety
- Proof of citizenship if born in another country
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
- Required application fees (cash, money order or cashier's check, no personal checks)
Concealed Handgun License Hours:
New Applicants or Transfers from Another County:
MONDAY ONLY BY APPOINTMENT 8:40 am- 11:40am and 1:00pm-3:40pm
Renewals or Change of address:
TUESDAY,WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY 9:00am -11:50am and 1:00pm -3:50pm
Non-Criminal Fingerprinting Hours:
For employment or licensing
TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY 9:00am – 11:50am and 1:00pm - 3:50pm
* The Civil Office closes on federal holidays and will reopen on the next business day*
Back to Sheriff