The Department is composed of five sections;
|Willamette Meridian - All surveys and grids west of the Cascades in Oregon and Washington are drawn from this spot.|
- Manufactured Dwelling Transfers
- Business Personal Property
Services and duties include:
- Locate & identify all taxable property;
- Inventory all property including quality, quantity, & important characteristics;
- Estimate the market value of each taxable property;
- Answer appeals and explain the assessment process used;
- Administer all Special Assessment Statutes that pertain to certain classes of property;
- Calculate the tax rate and compute each tax bill.
- Prepare the assessment roll;
- Prepare & maintain all county maps including subdivision, partitioning and code identification.
- Maintain ownership records of all Josephine County property;
- Perform Manufactured Dwelling title transfers
The majority of services & duties of the Assessor's Office are mandated by Oregon statutes .
The phrase "assessor shall" indicates a mandate; "assessor may" allows discretion.
The phrase "assessor shall" occurs approximately 250 times,
while "assessor may" occurs approximately 30 times in Oregon statutes.
Josephine County Assessor - A Brief History
For a simple and fun to watch video explanation of how Measure 50
works courtesy of the Deschutes County Assessor follow this link